Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Surface preparation, net installation

Other volleyball court construction sites recommended digging about 12-24" below the surface. At the bottom layer is gravel (for water drainage), then some porous landscape fabric, and then sand on top. For this to happen, I would have to hire someone with a bulldozer or backhoe to do this, which would be costly. And I would also have to fill this with costly materials too.

I instead opted to clear the existing site of any rocks or grass, and then place sand directly on that. I imagine there could be long-term issues with this, but my budget necessitated it. I hired the local landscaper to scrape the ground as best he could with his existing farm equipment. This service cost was about $30-50. Afterwards, I removed any remaining rocks and used weed killer on any remaining grass.

Next, I installed the net. I bought a standard size net online for about $30. It had a metal wire with loops on top. I attached some D-ring hooks to the posts and then affixed the net to the D-ring hooks. I used cheap ratcheting tie-down to join one side of the net to the D-ring. I then tightened the net down and attached the bottom of the net with D-rings and rope.

For the lines, I used some cheap plastic stakes in the corners and standard yellow rope. I found difficultly getting the corners in the correct place. I basically just estimated where the corners should be and then made small adjustments from there, using the net as the guide. I'm sure surveyors have better methods ;-)

The court, pre-sand:


Post play comments:
1) Once the sand was placed and spread out, I had to reinstall the D-hooks on the posts because the net end up to be too short. But it was a pretty simple fix and probably difficult to get exactly right the first time.
2) The bottom of the net wasn't tight enough (I just used rope and knots), so balls would not recoil very well. Bungee cords are probably a better idea.
3) The cheap yellow rope works just fine as lines. I can always replace them with "standard" volleyball lines in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment