Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Playing surface protection

In the long-run, I imagine weeds will grow through the sand, since the court will be seldom used. And I imagine it's possible a flooding could wash the sand away. So I opted for some black plastic landscape sheeting. I figured it would prevent weed growth by blocking both sun and water. I found some rolls measuring 10'x100' for $20 each online, so I bought two (totaling 2000 square feet). I then laid them out length wise (so two ~65'x10', two ~35'x10' in on strip). I realized that the wind will easily blow it away, so I grabbed any heavy or large object I could find and placed them on it. I also ran rope across the middle.



Post-play notes:
1) The material has done a very good job at eliminating weeds. There are no weeds underneath it, while there are small weeds in the unprotected parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment