Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Site location, pole installation

A standard sand volleyball court is about 30 feet wide by 60 feet wide, which is 1800 square feet. Typically there's about a five foot boundary outside the court too. So the court area really needs about 40'x70' of space (2800 square feet).

My family has a 2.5 acre property in mountains of Arizona. Fortunately I had plenty of room to put a volleyball court. I found a site free of any trees or bushes, pretty flat, and plenty of room for an out of bounds area.

The next step was to install the volleyball posts. I chose two 4"x6" wood posts 10 feet long (about $15 each). Other sites recommended 12-foot long posts, but it was difficult for me to transport posts that long. The volleyball net is a little under eight feet high, so as long at the post is at least that, it will work fine. I also avoided 4"x4" posts, since other sites doubted the strength of it (and 4"x6" posts cost a just a few dollars more).

So I dug a hole a little shy of two feet deep and about 8" in diameter. I also spaced the posts about 40 feet apart, since the net is 30 feet wide. I painted the posts (to help seal them) and then set the posts in concrete, checking for levelness and plumbness.



Post play comments:
1) My site location turned out to be excellent. I did find people would run a lot farther than five feet outside the court, so it's good that no obstructions existed anywhere close to five feet.
2) The post concrete footing has begun to develop cracks but is still working fine. I blame that on my lack of concrete mixing skills. In hindsight, I wish I had the premixed "just add water" Quikcrete (I only had pure Portland cement at the time)
3) It would have been nice to rough-in an outdoor electrical line and water supply line before the concrete pour.

2 comments:

  1. Do people play barefoot? Do people dive for balls? I'm looking at putting together some courts, but was thinking I'd need at least a foot of sand, and that is should go 10 feet off the court in all directions, although maybe only 6 inches deep outside of the courts. I'm looking at 400 tons for 3 courts. That's 23k for high quality sand (no dirt, no rocks, no dust, doesn't pack, and its not abrasive). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank to Mr. Benjamin for helping me acquire my VA Mortgage loan. It was great receiving my loan of $900,000 USD from this loan lender. My name is Krasimir Todor am Belgian. I got my loan from this reputable loan lender on the 20th of November 2019 and I want to quickly use this medium to tell everyone here that you can acquire any loan from this credible loan company. A VA loan lender is not easy to come by and it must be recommended by the Department of Veteran Affairs. Mr Benjamin will give you loans at low-interest rates of 2% rate and very fast. Get your loans at Email: 247officedept@gmail.com or on Whatsapp number: + 1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete