Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lighting

Lighting is probably the biggest challenge right now. My original idea was to attach floodlights to 2"x4" wood, and then attach that to the volleyball posts. The supplied power was via 100' outdoor extension cables (temporary at this point). In the below picture, the floodlights are about 15' high. When I tried it at night, the lighting was quite inadequate.



I added a halogen worklight just above the post, which made it better, but not great. Also note in this picture the metal clamps affixing the 2x4 to the post. The clamps allow the 2x4 to be removed, since the floodlights are not permanent.



Post-play notes:
1) In the end, I added another floodlight at the end of the court and another worklamp on the other post. While it was "playable," the lighting still could be improved upon. It was also difficult to see when looking directly towards a floodlight.
2) I'm looking into getting two more powerful lights higher at each post. I'm thinking about a sodium vapor light attached to a long metal pole (20'+ high). I am also looking into permanent wiring solutions.

1 comment:

  1. Since then, I hear stories every single week about injuries to horses from fences, wire and post and rail. At the end of the day horses are prey animals, if they are scared they will run, often in a blind p anic, if there is an unforgiving fence in the way you'll have injuries. The cost of the Electrobraid is minimal when you weigh up the future vet bill savings! wood fence cost

    ReplyDelete